Dozens of Homes Robbed During National Night Out Event
FairCityNews.com | Aug 06, 2014 | Comments 0
Springfield, MO – Several families returned home after attending the National Night Out event to find that their homes had been ransacked by criminals while the homeowners were out meeting local law enforcement, fire departments and other organizations during America’s Night Out Against Crime at Meador Park.
The annual event, focused on safety and crime prevention, allowed would be criminals easy access to unattended homes. “In hindsight, maybe the event shouldn’t have been promoted so hard,” said one victim. Petty thief Doug Jetty said, “I saw all the signage and figured that it would be a golden opportunity. Looks like someone or actually many thieves took advantage of the situation.”
National Night Out was intended to keep Springfield healthy and safe while giving families a chance to tour police, fire and safety vehicles. “We had a real good look at the police cruiser in our front drive for about 4 hours after the event,” said Barry Yolorf, whose home was robbed, “I had forgotten to bring my meds for the prescription drug take-back booth, but it looks like my medicine closet was cleaned out by a thief…so at least that is taken care of.”
Criminal minds are eagerly awaiting next year’s event.
Filed Under: Featured